Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

Eilonwy- Travel dress, The High King



Hello! Today I am featuring another dress for Eilonwy. Be prepared, there are quite a few to come! Eilonwy is one of my favorite book heroines, and one of my dreams is to play her in a film version of Prydain:) Did I mention I love acting as well as designing?

Sorry the photos are rather poor- I don't have a scanner. I know a woman who will let me use hers- the problem is actually getting around to it. Well...

This dress is one of the few Prydain costumes I've designed without a specific sewing pattern in mind to make it by. And, I must say, this is one of my very favorite designs:) 
It is, I think, somewhat 14th century in style. I'm going by Dovers Medieval fashion coloring book by Tom Tierny to get that estimate. However, as Prydain is a fantasy realm, it gives you so much more liberty to mix eras. Generally for Prydain I try to keep the designs earlier in origin- 10-12th century. But this dress is one she has brought home from Mona, so I think its slightly later design fitting. Enough rambling- the Specifics!

The underdress is ivory muslin or linen, slightly gathered, peasant style, but with out the fullness. The over dress is a mustard-y, ochre kind of color. As for type of material... I'm not sure:/ I picture it soft, almost velvety, but sturdy, as it's a travel dress. Suggestions?? I'll keep thinking and update this post when I decide! The style is a fairly straightforward, closefitting, long dress. One of my favorite features is the lacing up the sides. Brown leather cording is used for this.  Where the lacing ends at the hip, there is a panel in the skirt to make it fuller. The neckline and sleeves are trimmed with brown. The lacing at the neck is also brown leather cording. She has a brown leather belt with a metal cap at the end and a simple buckle. It could be long or short- as you can see, my drawings vary. Her shoes are soft leather chukka style boots. Her cloak, seen in the topmost picture, is greens, gray, ochre and brown.I have a scrap of upholstery fabric that I picture it in... someday I may add it here. Her hair is braided- in a few of the pictures it is two braids, but I decided on one, more intricate braid. It's not in the pictures, but she would, as always, have her crescent necklace and fair folk ring.

Eilonwy wears this when she and the Companions are traveling in the begining of The High King. She may wear it in the battle too.

I hope you've enjoyed reading about this design! As always, comments and constructive criticism is welcome!

~The Damsel~

No comments:

Post a Comment