Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2015

Chapter 8- the end... and the begining.

Chapter 8




They all slept until noon the next day, except Sofie who go up at her usual hour, none the worse for wear, and Eva, who could have used the extra sleep but felt guilty and lazy sleeping any later than 10. Mrs. G had them help her make Francis and Maria breakfast in bed, since they were up. Francis was fully gratified, and decided maybe he would consider taking them all somewhere again sometime- but not too soon.

Over the next few days, Maria had to rest a lot, so she and Gio started with their language lessons, under the watchful eye of Mrs. G. The others went to the beach a few times, but otherwise just kind of bopped around the town. They had to go back to Sicily in just a few more days...

The day before they had to go, the cousins were packing, with relief on some sides and sadness on (one) other. Gio was sitting on the foot of his bed watching them just as he had when they arrived.

"We've gotta do something fun before you all leave." He suggested. Francis, bent over his suitcase, stood up, banging his head on the drawer again.

"Ouch! Ugh." He sighed, rubbing his head ruefully. "Like what?" He asked Gio.

Gio shrugged. "Hmmmm..."

"I know!!!!!" Romeo exclaimed, "we could....... we could..."

"We could....what?" Gio prodded.

"Oh I don't actually know. Never mind." He turned back to perfectly packing his clothes. Gio raised his eyebrows at him.

"Ok, well anyways. Francis?" Just then Ernie, who had quietly slipped in the room while they were talking, spoke up.

"I think we should go on a picnic. a real one with no spiders that will be murdered later on." He added in a low voice. Gio looked at him.

"Well... you know, that might be fun Ernie." He said. "What do you guys think?"

Romeo shrugged.

"Sure!" He acquiesced in a cheerful tone.

"I don't care either way." Francis said. I just want to go home, he added mentally.

"I'll go ask the girls, come on Ernie." Gio jumped down with a bang. Ernie was startled.

"Sorry!" Gio called over his shoulder as he headed across the hall. He knocked on the door. Sofie opened it.

"What?" She asked.

"uh, um-" Gio stammered. Sofie typically had this effect on him. He scowled.

"Do you all want to go on a picnic." He demanded after a moment. Sofie smiled, to his surprise.

"Sure when we're done packing." She slammed the door. Gio turned around.

"Ah." Ernie was right behind him.

"Did they say yes?" He asked. Gio nodded. Ernie smiled happily.

"Yay!" He trotted off to his room. Gio smiled after him. Romeo came out of the room with his suitcase.

"Well, what are we doing?" He inquired.

"Picnic." Gio headed down stairs to ask his mama for some food.

* * *
An hour later, they piled into Mrs. G's van, with Gio at the wheel. (Romeo wasn't really comfortable driving at the moment.)

"Where should we go?" Gio asked.

"I think we should go to the beach." Ernie said. Gio sighed.

"we don't have our swimming things, Ernie." He explained.

"I don't mean to swim," Ernie replied testily, "It's not even that warm out."

"I'd like to go sit at the beach, "Maria put in.

"Ok." said Gio, driving off. Sofie rolled her eyes.

When they arrived, Sofie and Eva, with some help from Maria who still couldn't use one arm, spread out the blanket and food.

"Watch out for sand spiders.." Eva said slyly, glancing out of the corner of her eye at Romeo and Maria.

Romeo looked up in alarm.

"What? Sand spiders?" He cried. Eva snickered.

"Yes, they dig into the sand to hide and then-" Eva flung herself towards Romeo  with her hands held in a spidery shape. He tipped backwards in surprise as Eva wriggled her fingers, giggling. He looked around himself at the sand, his eyes filled with apprehension.

"Just kidding, they don't have them here... I don't think." Eva finally admitted, in an ominous tone.

 Maria moaned.

"Thanks, Eva." She teased. Eva smiled back as they bowed for Francis to bless the food. They had brought some sliced meat, cheese, bread vegetables and fruit, for a traditional picnic.

"But where's the wine?" Francis joked. "I'm just kidding," He added seriously.

"I can't believe that we have to leave tomorrow." Maria mourned as she began on her food. Gio made a sad face.

"I know." He met her eyes. In that moment, something flashed between them- Maria would later try to convince herself otherwise. But somehow, deep inside she knew- this was not the end, but the beginning. She looked away, off over the blue sea.

"Well, we're coming back for the concert thing aren't we?" Romeo questioned between mouthfuls of bread and vegetables. Maria looked hopefully at Francis.

"You have to!" Gio begged, joining her. Francis narrowed his eyes at them.

"We'll see."

"Yay!!" Gio and Maria smiled in delight.

"I didn't say yes!" Francis protested, but they didn't listen.

They lingered for a few hours, slowly eating their lunch, talking and just enjoying each others company. Ernie found a live crab which made up for the loss of the spider. Maria rinsed out the jar from some pickled vegetables they had brought, and filled it with sand and shells.

"So I can always have a little piece of here with me." She explained to Ernie.

"That's a good idea." He said. " I like it." Maria smiled at him. He seemed so much younger than her somehow, she thought. So sweet and innocent and young. He was staring at her.

"What?" She asked. His eyes flickered and he glanced away. For a moment he looked startlingly like his brother.

"Nothing." He said.

Finally it was time to go home to get plenty of rest for the long ride home. Everyone was reluctant, but at last they packed everything up and slowly drove away. Maria stared out the window as the sea faded into the distance.

"I'm going to miss it here." She said, a catch in her voice.

* * *

The next morning they got up bright and early, and loaded their things into Romeos car. Francis had managed to convince him to drive some of the way, but he positively refused until they were out of Abruzzo. When everything was loaded, everyone stood awkwardly for a moment.

"You are all welcome any time." Mrs. G said finally, giving them each a hug. Gio watched them with a sad expression.

"Good bye." He said, his eyes on Maria. Romeo punched him in the shoulder.

"Ow," Gio laughed, punching him back.

"I'm getting in, "Sofie groaned, doing so. "Goodbye," She yelled from inside the car.

The others got in too, calling goodbyes as Francis started the car and pulled away and headed south.

 Gio and Ernie waved.

Gio stared after them long after he could no longer see them. He didn't understand why he felt so lonely. After all, he still had Alex and Tad, just like always. And yet... something was different now.

He just didn't know what.

But he knew deep inside that after this summer his life would never be the same. And that the friendships they had formed would never break.

He couldn't wait to see what the future would bring.

Finite

Ok, so this is the last chapter(obviously) of this first draft. I'd really love any advice, criticism, ideas, basically anything! Thank you so much to everyone who's been reading- I truly appreciate it!

I'm not sure what I'll be doing next- either another story with these characters, or something else completley. I'm open to suggestions!!!


6 comments:

  1. Might we hope for a featuring the mysterious Lanzo? I must admit the Pinterest board has greatly piqued my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Lanzo. Well, I'm not sure yet exactly when he arrives on the scene... But you may see him in the near future:) Oo I'm glad my Pinterest boards for them are interesting!! Thanks for the comment<3

      Delete
  2. Haha, how about Violetta? And Nate? Bianca?
    As far as criticism, I guess nothing much except I would go over it and get all the grammar and quotations, ect. right. I guess that's the point of a rough draft. =) And just generally "polish" it up. ~melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally deleted melodys comment:/ so I reposted it! In reply to melody- I have huge plans for all of them, and if enough people are interested, I'll def. write about them! Ad yes, in the next draft the grammar etc. will be polished haha! Thanks for commenting!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm interested! Yeah, your Pinterest boards are def. piquing my curiousity too. =)(I'm planning on starting a couple of my own pretty soon for a story I'm working on. The Sierra one. Oh and BTW, Sierra as a character is AWESOME!! She is sooo cool...anyway, sorry for that ramble!) Eva is prob one of my favorite characters; she's not perfect and seems pretty normal and lifelike. I'd love to see what happens to her.~melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's very encouraging:) Cool, haha I love those boards:) Oo I can't wait to see!! She seemed really cool when I was drawing her... I get a "feel" for characters whenever I draw them, but she seemed extra personable!I'm excited to see:) Thank you, she is actually the character based the most heavily on myself! (Although I think I make it into all the characters a little;) Thanks so much for reading, and the comments, like I said it's very encouraging when people contact!!!

      Delete